Is the occurrence of child obesity increasing?
The incidences of child obesity are fast increasing. Especially in developed countries, the problem is very grave such that even the federal medical authorities are taking cognizance of the high rate of child obesity and taking necessary action to curb the same. In India, due to the unhealthy lifestyle and eating habits of the children, incidences of childhood obesity are on a rise. Almost 20%of Indian children are reported to be obese. With both the parents working and not spending enough time with the kids, the problem seems to aggravate.
Why Child Obesity is a grave problem?
The problem of obesity in kids is a real thing to worry especially because obesity and complications related to obesity accumulate over time. An obese kid is more likely to carry forward the same unhealthy eating habits throughout his life. Children who are obese are more prone to various diseases and disorders at an adolescence or adult stage. Obese children often may suffer from various ailments including heart disease, blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, breathing problems, joint pain at an early adult age. Some children also may experience psychological problems due to overweight like teasing, depression and low esteem.
Parents can be saviors
A study by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation showed parents have significant potential to influence their children’s behavior. This includes eating habits and physical activity. Parents can be model to help children develop healthy eating habits in obese children right from an early stage of life. Parents can teach the importance of healthy foods for overweight kids. Healthy habits developed at a very early stage are bound to remain with the person for a lifetime. That is when a child understands and adopts a healthy diet; he/she maintains the same healthy habits in his/her teen and adult age. This may turn into lowering of the rate of obesity-related diseases at an adult stage.
5 healthy eating habits for overweight kids
1. Healthy meal: Motivation is important for overweight kids so that they consume healthy children’s diet to lose weight. A healthy diet includes the following –
- Fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains such as brown rice
- Lean meats(meat with low fats), poultry, seafood, peas and beans, soy products, and eggs, instead of meats high in fat
- Fat-free or low-fat milk and related products or substitutes, such as soy beverages with added calcium and vitamin D, instead of whole milk or cream
- Fruit and vegetable smoothies made with fat-free or low-fat yogurt, instead of milkshakes or ice cream
- Water, Coconut Water instead of soda and other drinks with added sugars
2. Serve small portions: Avoid serving very large portions of healthy meals to the overweight kids. Offering smaller portions but rich in nutritional content would be a better option of healthy meals for overweight kids.
3. Embrace a Family culture: Try to eat the meals together with the family. Family dynamics induces a positive effect on the child’s eating habits. Little conversations help children to eat slowly and therefore consume only the required amount of food. With no conversations, kids tend to eat faster and more than required.
4. Involve kids: Involve kids in planning their diet. Take them shopping and explain to them the concept like calories, high calories, etc.
5. Be a role model: Kids generally imitate their parents and elders in the family. Be a role model. Plan and prepare a healthy diet for the obese kids as well all the family members.
Healthy flakes for obese kids
Gluten Free Sorghum (Jowar) Flakes and Pearl Millet (Bajra) Flakes could be part of the main ingredients of healthy meals for overweight kids. These are made from whole grains that are rich in essential nutrients for kids growth and yet very tasty for consumption. Gluten Free Sorghum (Jowar) Flakes and Pearl Millet (Bajra) Flakes are low in sugar content, low in cholesterol content and have high fiber. Since these are grown traditionally, these grains a rich in nutrients and therefore ideal for consumption. Many tasty recipes can be prepared very easily and in less time from these products. Skyroots, by bringing Gluten-Free Sorghum (Jowar) Flakes and Pearl Millet (Bajra) Flakes at your table, have helped you to properly plan a diet for overweight kids.
Consumption of Gluten-free Products
Gluten Free products like Gluten Free Sorghum (Jowar) Flakes and Pearl Millet (Bajara) Flakes are one of the suitable and tasty substitute diets for Celiac Disease, Gluten Intolerance, and Wheat Allergy patients. These products are made from natural grains and are rich in essential nutrients. At the same time since these are gluten-free, they are low in sugar and cholesterol content. Being gluten free these prevent abdominal discomfort otherwise caused due to gluten-containing products and are ideal for the consumption of Celiac Disease, Gluten Intolerance, and Wheat Allergy patients