2023 being the international year of millets let’s all take an oath to include it in our daily diet. Here is how we can make millet an integral part of our diet. These simple, easy-to-make, delicious and nutritious recipes are going to change your nutrition game. You will be able to see a marked difference in energy levels, weight, skin, and hair as millets are nutrient dense. These millet recipes are very easy to make. With the right cooking method and the right combination, you can get the most of it.
Here are top 4 unique easy to cook, delicious healthy millet recipes that adults, kids, and weight watchers can enjoy for a healthy and a fit lifestyle :
1. Ragi Porridge / Ragi Malt or Ragi soup
- 2 tbsp ragi flour
- 1½ cup water
- 1 tsp organic jaggery
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp organic ghee
How to make :
- In ½ cup of water dissolve ragi flour.
- In a saucepan boil 1 cup water.
- Once the water boils, add in dissolved ragi flour.
- Stir continuously, on medium flame till it turns glossy and rich in texture
- Once it thickens add 1 tsp jaggery ( as per taste ) and stir well.
- Now add ½ cup milk and stir continuously
- Add ¼ tsp cardamom powder and dry fruit to add more healthy fat and nutrients and mix well.
- Serve ragi porridge hot and enjoy calcium-rich winter special porridge for stronger bones, weight loss and increase the immunity of the body.
- One pot millet bowl :
- 1 cup soaked millet
- 1 tbsp organic ghee
- 1 cup finely onion,
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 ½ cups butternut squash
- ½ cups beans
- ½ cup cauliflowers
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup peas
- Roughly chopped spinach
- ½ cup cilantro/coriander
- 2 ½ cups water
- Roasted seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper and some walnuts for garnish
How to make :
- In a pan heat some organic ghee, add the veggies and cook well
- Once the veggies are cooked, add some soaked millet and mix well
- Add garam masala and turmeric powder and mix well while adding water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook well until the millets are nicely soft and grainy
- In a serving bowl serve the millet mix we cooked and garnish with some desi ghee, roasted seeds, black pepper, and walnut. You can add some pomegranate pearls and enjoy spicy, tangy one-pot meals.
- Millet burger
- ½ cup cooked millet
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cups spinach finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- For binding millet flour
How to make:
- Sautee all veggies, make sure it doesn’t lose their crunch.
- In a mixing bowl add crunchy veggies mix, add some salt, pepper, garam masala, and chat masala. To make it spicy, add green chilies or red paprika powder.
- Mix everything well, add cooked millet and mix well and start molding it like a tiki for our burger.
- In a pan roast the Tikki until golden brown on all sides
- Take multigrain / millet burger buns, apply some green chutney
(optional), tomato sauce, and some cheese sauce, and place lettuce, and onion rings and place the Tikki cooked and enjoy.
- Ragi buttermilk:
- 3 spoons ragi four
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup curd
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Jeera powder
How to make :
- In a pan, prepare tadka, add jeera and onion, cook until little brown and keep it aside
- Prepare buttermilk, add water and dahi and mix well, add salt and keep aside.
- In a pan, dry roast ragi flour until it’s aromatic and slightly changes color, now add buttermilk and mix well, you can use a hand blender to mix it so it’s lump free.
- Add the tadka of onion and jeera we prepared, mix everything well and serve it with fresh coriander garnished on top. And enjoy the best probiotic which is not only gut-friendly but also calcium-rich, cooling and delicious.
These are some unique healthy lip-smacking recipes to include in your diet. What unique millet recipes have you tried? Share them with us.