The year is just about to end, and many of us haven’t yet achieved the weight loss goals set last year! It is that time of the year again, when we start thinking about our new year goals. So instead of following some diet fads or trying some new challenges, let us try and achieve weight loss the healthy way!
Nutrition plays a very important role when it comes to losing weight. Your food has a greater impact on your body. Focus on providing your body with healthy nutrient-dense superfoods that can accelerate the weight loss journey. One such superfood is right there in our backyard.
Yes we are talking about Millets!
Did you know 2023 is the International year of millets?
As the next year is the millet year, it is the perfect time to jump on a weight loss journey using millets!
Millets have gained popularity in the last few years when people have become health conscious and want to include millets in their meals to lose weight. Millets are commonly available in Indian grocery stores and are economical too.
Top 7 easily available millets for weight loss :
Commonly known as Ragi
How Ragi helps in weight loss :
- Ragi is the richest source of iron and a good source of fiber, calcium, and potassium, especially for people following a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- It also aids in weight loss as it is easy to digest and keeps you satiated for a longer time.
- Ragi aids in improving cognitive health.
- It relaxes the nerves and is perfect for anxiety and insomnia.
- Ragi contains an amino acid that helps in relaxing the nerves.
- Ragi is gluten-free.
- Finger millet can help holistically for a healthy body and mind
- Jowar :
Commonly known as Sorghum
How Jowar helps in weight loss :
- Jowar is rich in vitamin B.
- It helps in improving metabolism.
- Jowar is good for bone and heart health.
- Jowar is rich in dietary fiber.
- Jowar helps keep hunger pangs at bay as it keeps you fuller for a longer time.
- Glycemic index and gluten being low in jowar, it is an excellent pick when on a weight loss journey.
- Jowar has essential vitamins and minerals.
Commonly known as Bajra.
How Bajra helps with weight loss:
- Gluten-free option for weight loss.
- Bajra has a good amount of fiber and vitamins which help improve metabolism and thus help in weight loss.
- Bajra can be included in lunch and dinner with the wintergreen leafy veggies for weight loss and to provide the body with maximum nutrition.
- Bajra is rich in calcium, magnesium, and iron and is most commonly found in our Indian kitchen.
Commonly known as Rajgira
How Amaranth is good for weight loss:
- Good source of protein.
- Contain fiber, protein and minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and manganese
- Rich in antioxidants.
- It helps reduce inflammation in the body.
- Helps reduce cholesterol and is good for weight loss.
- Foxtail millet
Commonly known as Kakum
How is Kakum good for weight loss :
- Foxtail millet is rich in Vitamin B12.
- Good for maintaining a healthy heart.
- Helps to smooth the nervous system.
- Excellent for glowing skin and hair growth.
- Best alternative for diabetic patients.
- It’s a good source of iron and helps reduce muscle spasms and eases out restless syndrome.
Commonly known as Kuttu
How does Kuttu help with weight loss :
- It helps lower blood pressure.
- Improves cardiovascular health.
- It aids in weight loss and curbs unwanted cravings.
- It has a good amount of fiber and is good for digestion and the gut.
- Good source of vitamin B3.
- Good source of protein.
7. Barnyard millet
Commonly known as Sanwa
How barnyard millet helps in weight loss:
- High fiber helps maintain satiety, even when consumed in fewer portions so best for weight loss.
- It is a rich source of calcium and phosphorus.
- It is a good antioxidant
- Good for the heart and reduce cholesterol.
Making the right choice of food is important for healthy living. Millet is one of the best superfoods and a good replacement for rice or wheat. With tons of benefits and easy availability, it should be your top pick. Reimagine your weight loss journey with healthy millets this millet year.