Millets are trending these days especially after Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modiji promoted the use of millets, and 2023 was declared as the ‘International Year Of Millets”. The millets are finally getting their rightful place as the world is discovering the benefits of millets. One of the many benefits of millets is that they are best for PCOS reversal.
What is PCOD/S?
PCOS is an endocrine disorder. It is a condition that affects the hormonal balance in women. Complications like infertility, irregular periods, excess body hair, acne, miscarriage, Type 2 diabetes, depression, mood swing, emotional disturbance, and insomnia may be caused because of hormonal imbalance.
In PCOS, a woman’s body produces higher than normal amounts of male hormones. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is very common and 8 out of 10 women have PCOS. It usually impacts women in child bearing age i.e 15 to 44 and affects their ovaries.
While doctors don’t know the exact cause of PCOS, the treatment usually begins with changing the diet and lifestyle. An unhealthy lifestyle and diet can aggravate PCOS.
What are millets?
The small seeded, grass like crop, millets have been a staple food for centuries in India, till the time of the Green Revolution. In the 1970s high-yielding crops of rice and wheat were given importance and millet were sidelined. It was then known as poor man’s food. But in the 21st century, after the pandemic hit, people have become health conscious and have started making healthy choices. With the immense health benefits of millets, it became an obvious choice for fitness enthusiasts as it was easily available and added a lot of variety to your diet. Using a variety of grains in daily meals is more beneficial than the single-grain diet. So millet is the right choice.
Why is millet better for PCOS?
- Millets are more nutritious than rice and wheat and it is gluten-free.
- It has more fiber which helps digest sugar and reduce the insulin spike.
- Millets help maintain the hormonal balance.
- Keeps blood sugar in control, as it releases sugar slowly, and keeps you satiated for a longer time.
- It is rich in potassium and magnesium which helps reduce stress, especially important for PCOS women.
- Millets are rich in vitamins, protein, antioxidants, and minerals like magnesium, iron, copper & zinc which makes them hormone-friendly grains.
- When protein and carbohydrates are balanced, the chances of insulin resistance are reduced, something that is necessary for managing PCOS.
- Millets are low in glycemic index and release sugar slowly into the blood.
- High Fiber in millets helps in estrogen metabolism, which may be impacted in
- PCOS women face heavy bleeding, which leads to loss in iron. Millet is a good source of iron, zinc, magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
- Weight loss is the top priority for PCOS women, and millets are excellent for weight loss, as they are nutrient dense and low in calories and GI.
- It improves skin and reduces aches too! It is gluten-free and health-friendly too.
Which millets are good for PCOS :
These are types of millets :
- Pearl millet – Bajra
- Sorghum – Jowar
- Finger millet – Ragi
- Little millet – Sama
- Foxtail millet – Korra
- Kodo millet – Arke
- Barnyard millet – Sanwa
Millets that are best for PCOS are Ragi, Jowar, Bajra, and foxtail. These are pcod friendly millets and help in controlling cholesterol and blood sugar levels. They are naturally gluten-free which is advisable for PCOS. Millet is rich in calcium, protein, iron, and amino acids, that are necessary for PCOS. Did you know, up to 70% of PCOS can be reversed with nutrition? The right ingredient choices and the best cooking method make millet easy to include in your daily diet. Soaking millet is important before cooking to avoid any digestive complications.
Millet is a whole grain and whole grains keeps you full for a longer time. When a woman has PCOS, she faces low energy and millet is the powerhouse of nutrition that helps increase energy levels. Millet roti like roti made with ragi, jowar, and bajra is better than gluten roti. Millets are the best replacement for rice too.
Take away :
Millets are the most nutritious and diet-friendly. It is locally available and pocket-friendly. They help in controlling and reversing PCOS naturally, instead of relying on drugs that might have side-effects in the long run. Millets help manage the hormones naturally and nutritionally, a great alternative to any fancy Pcos reversal food!